Peter D. Raymond
Peter is a partner in the Litigation Department and specializes in intellectual property and commercial litigation. Peter is a very experienced litigator who has tried bench and jury cases and argued appeals in the state and federal courts in New York and has appeared in courts and in administrative tribunals throughout the country. In particular, Peter represents clients in disputes involving copyright and trademark infringement, trademark dilution, false advertising, unfair competition, product disparagement, defamation and invasion of rights of privacy and publicity. Peter has also lectured and acted as an expert witness in intellectual property and comparative advertising matters.
- Representation of a celebrity in copyright infringement action alleging that a movie written and produced by the client infringed the copyright in plaintiff’s autobiography. Peter had the case dismissed by the U.S. District Court on a motion to dismiss, He also won the appeal at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
- Representation of a global consumer products company in a false advertising action against a competitor based on false statements made by the competitor in a television commercial. Peter obtained a preliminary injunction against further broadcast of the commercial from the federal court in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
- Prosecution of an action for a hip-hop star against a fast-food company for trademark infringement and breach of his right of privacy based on the defendant’s use of the star’s name in advertising without his permission. The case was favorably settled at a mediation.
- Defense of a global advertising agency which acquired a public relations company in an action filed by the acquired company’s CEO seeking a multi-million dollar earn-out payment. Peter won a defense verdict after a jury trial in New York State Supreme Court, won the subsequent appeal to the Appellate Division, First Department and won an attorney’s fee award from the trial court.
- Defense of a global cosmetics company in an action by a movie star for breach of contract and violation of her right of privacy involving alleged use of her name and likeness on the defendant’s website. The case was favorably settled.
- Defense of former partners in an accounting firm who were accused of defaming certain of their competitors. Peter won a defense verdict at trial in New York Supreme Court.
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in the New York Metro Super Lawyerslist for Intellectual Property Litigation for ten years.
- Recommended by The Legal 500 United States 2013in the area of Media, Technology and Telecoms – Marketing and Advertising
Peter D. Raymond
Columbia Law School, J.D.
Vassar College, A.B.
Professional and Community Affiliations
Advertising and Commercial Speech Committee of the Media Law Resource Center, former Co-Chair
Member, Federal Bar Council